Saturday, August 6, 2011

[lately] pre-birthday @ noop

The last few days have been ones of goodbyes. Yesterday, we said goodbye to my brother Nick as he headed back home to WA after his week of chilling and family time here. And today we said goodbye to my sister Lauren and her little family as they headed off to spend three weeks with the New Zealand Friends And Relations. Since Abby is only twelve weeks old, three weeks is a quarter of her life so far -- she'll be a different person when she returns!

My birthday falls during their time away, so Lauren planned a little pre-birthday afternoon tea at Noop, her latest local discovery. It was a great little place, and rare in that all of the baked goods (and there were so many AMAZING sweet and pretty things) are baked locally, instead of being shipped in from somewhere else. I hate going to cafes and seeing the same row of generic cheesecakes and mud cakes which could be bought anywhere (including McDonald's) so it was awesome seeing a little coffee shop doing their own thing and doing it nicely.




Peanut butter chocolate ganache cheesecake? Uh huh.

My lunch: ham and cheese toastie and peach iced tea.


Milkshakes are automatically cooler when they come with two straws -- and those amazing metal cups you can use to top up your glass with.


Some of the birthday treats Lauren spoilt me with: the first issue of new Feast magazine, Leeland's Love Is On the Move album, and Caramello Nibbles. Not pictured: adorable moccasin ugg boots.

I love my family!

[some images by Lauz]

* * * * *

Conversations:

BushMaid -- life is indeed wonderful and busy just now :). And yay you hosting a story writing contest! I hope it goes brilliantly and you get to read lots of great stories from entrants.

Samantha R -- I always wish I had more time for journalling. I'm so disappointed to have had that habit fall by the wayside in more recent years. In a sense, blogging has taken its place, but I still miss the unguarded mind-bomb that journalling can be.

Katie -- I'm loving the photography focus on your blog. I feel like I learn lots from your picture-taking; you always have something cool to share!

Laura Elizabeth -- isn't it weird, this love-hate relationship with study? I really do love it, and yet it IS a massive job and can be a pretty huge stress factor. Oh strange contradictory life! Ah yes, StJohn!! I kind of don't want Jamie Bell to play StJohn because he's always been a bit of a noob in any of the Jane Eyre film adaptations. Are you going to go see it? PS. Received email! Loved email! Replied to email!

Rach da Axe -- so the sun has found its way down to you, too? Yay!

Staish -- ooh, you may have some textbooks I could use! Yes! I will ogle them accordingly next time I see you.

Eweight -- oh do it, do it!! And then we could compare notes! And be, like, at the same school and stuff :).

Asea -- PhD applicationsssss! Woohoo! I wish you success. And I'll have to lurk your facebook piccies and be all jealous of your homeland explorations.

4 comments:

  1. Loved seeing your photos.
    Does Lauren have one of those nursing aprons? It looks very similar to what my friend Megan uses.

    Those chubby cheeks make me smile! :)

    Happy early birthday, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Birthday fun!! Pre-birthday fun is even better!!

    Confession... if I was Jane, I would totally have married StJohn! Which makes me the worst Victorian heroine ever. I'm actually re-reading Jane Eyre at the mo, so I'll see if I would still marry him :)

    I'm actually watching North & South at the moment, it's a BBC version from 2006, if I remember rightly. I highly recommend it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. TAIN the Bandit!!!

    I miss out on SO much living SO far away! :(
    I was glad to see one of my creations in one of the pics, so at least there's a little bit of me there...

    Looks like a great place, I look forward to when you can take us there!
    Looks like you scored well from the Webbers!
    Maybe you'll get mail tomorrow??

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Abby has improved greatly with age!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...